Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mexican Wedding Cakes























I thought I would publish this recipe of a delectable Christmas cookie. I always heard of this nut pastry puff as a "Russian Tea Cakes," and though they are good with tea, apparently they can change nationalities as well. I will also make a note that vegans could have great success with this cookie, substituting one of the safer non-hydrongenated butter imposters cramming the natural food store shelves. A way to have more fun baking these with friends is to use a Mexican oven with no thermostat! That way, while you are talking and laughing, you can also be checking the oven temperature in a panic every five minutes! Warning! These are mildly addictive...

MEXICAN WEDDING CAKES


1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup softened unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup FINELY chopped or ground pecans
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar for rolling dough

Pre-heat oven at 325° F. I am working on my centigrade conversions! In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Cream together. Stir in flour, nuts, and salt until dough holds together. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place each ball an inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Remember to check your thermostat, and bake for 15-20 minutes untiil set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet, carefully as cookies are soft. Cool slightly and roll in powdered sugar. Serve when cool.

I think this yields about 25-30 cookies

1 comment:

Don Cuevas said...

I was reading a variant recipe on Chowhound.com that uses pistachios. It was written by another Katie.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/11192
I don't know if they'd be any better than the original.
Now that I think of it, there's a similar Greek cookie, called "kourabiethes", or a similar spelling. They are made with ground almonds.

Saludos,
Mike